Woman's Gotta Have It
Filmed at The Workplay Theater in Birmingham, AL 9-26-09 with Ona Watson.
Song available on Taylor's new album, The Distance.
On sale now! Pick your copy today!

Friday, April 4, 2008

Taylor Hick's Do I Make You Proud Inspires Many

Since Taylor is luckily out of American Idol's gravity pull these days, he doesn't sing his coronation song, "Do I Make You Proud" anymore. I think it's a statement to TPTB that he's finished with them on every level.

Regardless, I love it and I'm not surprised the song is still being used today at graduations, to mark special achievements and to spread inspiration around around the globe. It truly is heartwarming to know that it has become a classic, a classic that will be sung for years to come. Here are just a few of the videos I found that used the song (as you can see, it's very difficult to sing).

And FYI, the song went straight to #1 on Billboard's Hot 100 Chart, Pop Chart and Singles Chart when it was released in June 2006.



















6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, just WOW!

Anonymous said...

Griz I love this song too, is there any way you can find out just how many were sold?
I get a kick out of watching these different video's, it is a hard song to sing and nobody can sing it like Taylor Hicks!
CJ

Soul Reporter said...

I've always liked the song too. His voice is beautiful. I can understand his not wanting to sing it again though, maybe it brings back, for him, painful memories. haha, maybe it makes him think of Simon, Nigel and Clive.

Oh, and that poll you have over there, so unfair. How can we only pick just one out of that amazing list? That wasn't very nice. :-)

Anonymous said...

I hadn't listened to this song in a long time. I immediatly got goosebumps just now. After hearing the other people singing this song, you realize how great Taylor sings this song. The 5th video, the young man singing, he did a good job, but he didn't hit some of the notes that Taylor does. I also like the 2nd one.

That song really highlights all the range that Taylor has in his voice. I just love Taylor voice!!

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful song. It's classy, timeless and I never get tired of it. The first time Taylor performed this song on AI was absolutely phenomenal and gave me chills. He put it in the books that night - the party was over right then and there. There will NEVER be another AI coronation song and performance like Taylor's - EVER.

-berney-

juliegr said...

I always thought Do I Make You a Proud would have been the PERFECT exit song for the contestants voted off the show. Guess the pencil neck geeks that are in power at AI just can't see beyond their hatred for Taylor and would rather put on some lame music that doesn't say anything to the contestants or their families.

tsk, tsk,

All of the videos were very touching and loved seeing the pride of the kids at graduation.

Thanks for researching and putting this on your blog.